Contrary to some public perceptions, to us, Ecuador seems considerably more dangerous than Colombia. We base this on:
- There’s tourist destinations that it isn’t safe to walk to.
- Cafes and restaurants display signs encouraging you to get them to call a cab (apparently it isn’t always safe to flag them).
- Barbed wire and broken glass atop fences.
- Much more stringent warnings about theft and muggings in guide books.
- Everyone wearing their backpack on their front on public transport.
- The much less visible police presence.